Information for Applicants
COVID 19 UPDATED PROCESS
If you are planning to rezone in Fairfield Gonzales , one of your first steps will be meeting with the neighbourhood Community Association Land Use Committee (CALUC). Gaining community support is an important part of any development approval process.
In addition to more traditional questions about developments, such as site plans, floor plans and elevations, applicants should be prepared to discuss how their proposal addresses the climate emergency, and the goals and targets in the City of Victoria’s Climate Leadership Plan.
- For buildings where parking is provided, is electric vehicle (EV) charging provided, or is it at least EV-ready?
- Is there convenient, secure bike parking provided?
- What is the Walk Score, Transit Score and Cycle Score for the building?
- Is the building well-insulated and energy efficient?
- Is the heating and cooling system an electric heat pump?
- Does the building have a convenient place for separate waste, recycling and compost disposal and collection?
- (For larger buildings) Have you considered providing a shared vehicle – e.g. Modo – in order to reduce the need for motor vehicle parking?
The process for applicants is to attend a Preliminary Meeting to review their plans with members of the CALUC. Members of the community are invited to attend to access information about the application; however discussion is between the applicant and the CALUC. At the subsequent Community Meeting, members of the community are invited to ask questions of the applicant. Both meetings are being offered in person and via Zoom.
Additionally, since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, community members are invited to comment on the application once it has been submitted to the City, via the Development Tracker. Once the plans are posted, community members have 30 days to comment; these comments will be shared with the applicant, CALUC, and the City when the 30 days has transpired.
Further information can be found on the City of Victoria website here.
To get in touch with the CALUC, please email email@example.com