Local Area Planning
The City of Victoria is developing new neighbourhood plans for both Fairfield and Gonzales.
Project updates are posted on the City’s website here.
Gonzales Neighbourhood Plan
In April 2016, Gonzales neighbours came together to launch the neighbourhood planning process. The City has drafted a plan to help guide growth and future development in Gonzales over the next 25 years.
The Public Hearing on the Official Community Plan amendments to align with the proposed Gonzales Neighbourhood Plan is scheduled for Thursday, March 8, 2018 @ 6:30pm. This is the last opportunity to provide feedback on the new Gonzales Neighbourhood Plan before Council considers it for adoption.
- Read the proposed plan and Official Community Plan Amendments here
- Read the agenda here
- Check the public hearing details one week prior here
- Address Council at the public hearing
- If you are unable to attend the public hearing, you can send input to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off written feedback at Victoria City Hall
For more information or to read the plan visit: victoria.ca/gonzales
Fairfield Neighbourhood Plan
Council will continue the workshop on the draft Fairfield Neighbourhood Plan this week (Feb.27th), to receive community feedback and provide direction on next steps.
When: Thursday, March 1
When: 9 a.m at the Committee of the Whole meeting
View the webcast here
**The workshop is being continued from last Thursday (February 22). LINK: victoria.ca/fairfield
The Fairfield Neighbourhood Plan is currently under development.There is a great deal of information, including the draft plan, on the City website.
The following is an update from the City’s engagement team from February 2018:
Dear Fairfield neighbours,
Over the past two months, we have been out in the community having conversations about the draft Fairfield Neighbourhood Plan.
Based on some of the comments we’ve heard, it’s important to emphasize that the current document is still a draft at this stage, and there will be further opportunities for you to provide feedback to help shape it.
Right now, staff are reviewing the significant amount of feedback that we have received to inform a number of changes to the plan. Current next steps include discussion of the draft and potential changes with Council (February 22), followed by the development of a revised plan which will be brought back to the public for another round of engagement.
Over the past two months, we have been listening to your feedback and would like to take this opportunity to provide some additional information and clarification related to some concerns that we’ve heard:
1. Engagement: We’ve heard from many people that the plan is complex and challenging to read, and that you would like more engagement and information. Based on your feedback, we will look at different options for engaging people as we go forward. Again, it’s important to reiterate that this is only the first review of the draft plan and that another round of engagement will occur once the current feedback has been incorporated.
2. Housing Types: We’ve heard some concern about different housing types envisioned in the plan. The next version of the plan will include changes to housing policies based on what we’ve heard from you.
3. Zoning Regulations: We’ve heard that some people are concerned that zoning regulations are being changed as part of this project. It’s important to note that adoption of the plan (once it’s actually complete) does not change the current zoning in the neighbourhood.
This process is focused on developing policies for the neighbourhood that will help guide Council’s decisions on future development applications where a change to the zoning is requested. In these cases, a separate public engagement program and public hearing will be required.
4. Neighbourhood Planning Process: We’ve had questions about the next steps in the process. The following are upcoming milestones based on our current direction from Council:
- The online survey on the draft Fairfield Neighbourhood Plan is now closed, however, you can send us an email with your feedback at any time during the development of the plan.
- The draft plan and community feedback received to date will be presented to Council at a workshop, this Thursday, February 22, 2018. Any additional engagement activities beyond those already planned will be discussed at that time with Council providing direction on next steps.
- The draft plan will be revised to incorporate feedback received from the community and from Council.
- A revised plan will be brought back out to the community for further engagement. This phase will also include identifying potential amendments to the Official Community Plan to ensure the two plans are aligned (target: spring 2018). Additional engagement directed by Council may also occur at this time.
- A final proposed plan and associated amendments to the Official Community Plan will be presented to Council and considered for approval at a Council meeting and public hearing.
Thank you to everyone who attended an event, completed the survey or provided feedback by email. The engagement summary of the draft plan can be viewed here.
The staff report on the draft plan can be found here. Attachments to the draft report including the survey report and feedback can be found in the Committee Agenda, Item 11 here. View the live webcast here.
Thank you for your continued involvement.