Do I have to get insurance?

Yes. We require proof of insurance 96 hours (4 days) before your event. If you are unable to provide insurance within that time, you will be unable to rent our facility.
Insurance fees range from $15 to $200+ depending on your type of activity, how many attendees are coming, if alcohol is being served, and a variety of other factors.The City of Victoria makes is easy for users of our facility to purchase insurance, contact:

Darlene Hammond, Permit Clerk, City of Victoria 250.361.0361


Can I look at the room I want to book?

Yes. Just phone ahead to be sure someone is available to show you the room.


Is there a deposit? When do I have to pay?

We require a non-refundable deposit equal to the first hour for each day booked before firming up the contract. Payment per booking is due one week before the date.


Are tables and chairs included in my rental?

Yes. The Garry Oak Room will fit a maximum 100 chairs at 15 tables. Our other rooms have lots of tables & chairs to set up as you wish.


Am I responsible for the set-up and take-down of my tables & chairs?

Yes. Plan for required set-up as well as take-down of your rental space, leaving the room how you found it.


Can I have extra time before my rental to set up?

Your rental begins and ends with the time you have paid for. Please book the time you need to set up and return the room as you found it. The facility attendant will arrive prior to your rental time to check the washrooms and kitchen and unlock the building. He or she will be happy to orient you to the facility. If you require more time for your set-up, you will need to book and pay for additional set-up/take-down time.


What is the latest we are able to leave the building?

Generally the latest you can exit the building is 11:00pm (allowing for a ½ hour of clean up, most events end at 10:30). This is due to a City of Victoria noise by-law.


What audio or visual presentation equipment is available? Is there an additional cost?

These items are available upon request, with no additional charge:
Sound System (only in Garry Oak Room): Ipod/laptop (cables supplied), CD-DVD player, speakers, microphones
White board
Flip chart stands – paper and markers responsibility of renters

Also available upon request, for a fee:
Epson Digital Projector $50 USB/Monitor/Video/S-video inputs


Do you provide cups, plates, dishes, cutlery, tablecloths etc?

No. You may bring your own or rental event supplies from a catering company such as Pedersen’s The Celebration Experts


Do you have cooking utensils, knives, pots & pans, etc. available in the kitchen?

We have 1 large pot & 1 large pan. No knives, no cutting boards & a small assortment of miscellaneous utensils. It is best to bring your own kitchen items for cooking.


I would just like to make coffee & tea, do I have to rent the kitchen? Is there a coffee maker and kettle available for use?

You do not need to rent the kitchen to serve coffee & tea at your event. We have a kettle & 2 large coffee urns available at no additional cost – coffee, tea, cream, cups etc. are your own responsibility. We can supply a 10-cup coffee carafe, filters & coffee for a $10 fee. Again, cream, cups etc. are up to you to provide.


Is it possible to serve alcohol at my event?

Yes. You need the following:

Special Event Permits (SEP) from BC Liquor Stores, are available to event hosts who wish to provide temporary or infrequent liquor service at events such as family gatherings, private functions, community festivals and manufacturer tastings. A Special Event Permit permits the host to serve or sell liquor at an event in accordance with BC’s liquor laws and regulations. No homemade wine or beer is allowed. Event hosts are considered liquor permittees and are responsible for the safety of their guests.

All individuals hosting or serving liquor at an SEP event – including family events – are required to complete a Responsible Beverage Service (RBS) training program.


Read & Sign the Renter MEMO of Understanding
Private function insurance is available through local providers including Allsport –



I would like to rent the kitchen to make a product I can then sell, is that possible?

Yes. Our kitchen is an industrial kitchen that fits VIHA & FoodSafe criteria. You will need to obtain a FoodSafe certificate ( as well as a licence from VIHA


Are all your rooms wheelchair accessible?

Yes. All our rooms have ground level or ramp access with wheelchair washrooms available. Our doors do not have an automatic open feature.


Is there parking nearby?

There are 7 parking spots in front of the main Place building on Fairfield Road. After school hours and on holidays, the Sir James Douglas Elementary School parking lot is available for facility users. Additional parking is available on the Porter Park side of Thurlow Street at any time.


Can I have candles in the room?

FGCA will bill any renters responsible for setting off the fire alarm by not using the stove fan or by burning sparklers, birthday candles or anything that produces smoke or fumes. False alarms are subject to a $50 fee.