Fairfield Food Forest
The Fairfield Food Forest is located in Porter Park, near the intersection of Kipling and Thurlow. (See map here.)
Come by and see what our hard working Garden Committee has been up to!
Facebook: Fairfield Community Gardens https://www.facebook.com/groups/839239216195711/
Food Forest hosts a Community Dinner
Sunday, July 23rd we (the Food Forest!) will be hosting a community dinner from 6-8 pm. Weather permitting, this will be a picnic style salad bar, served up at or near the forest. This is an awesome opportunity to welcome community into the forest & educate community members about our project.
Upcoming Work Parties 2017
Bring yourself (and a friend if you wish!), work gloves and a water bottle if you have them, and we will provide all tools and snacks. Work parties are at Porter Park in the Fairfield Food Forest.
Saturday, June 10th, 9am-12 we work in the garden and move into the new shed! A light snack will be provided, but please bring your water bottle and sun protection. A few projects to look forward to:
– Moving into the new shed
– Weeding and tidy up
– Weed trimming the perimeter of the garden
– Increasing cages for the plants that are outgrowing their homes
– Planting new plants
– Adding irrigation to the new plants
In our spring/summer planning, we are looking for help with a few specific tasks and wanted to spread the word. Here is a short description of these- please get in touch if you can help out!
1) Step repair- anybody experienced with masonry? Scotty has identified a repair job at the steps. These steps are a wonderful feature of the garden and need a little mortar and TLC.
2) Signage– we’re hoping to have a template designed that is 1/2 of the size of the current cage signs. This will make them less vulnerable in the wind, and would reduce the cost of laminating. We’re going to try a UV protected stronger lamination this time around. If you have graphic design skills and would be willing to take this on, I can provide you with files to get the project started! This could be perfect for a student project as well.
3) Shed– we’ll need to prepare a gravel pad for the shed. If you have experience with projects such as this, we’d love to work with you during the shed installation phase (coming up!).
Please contact the group of you’re interested in volunteering or have any questions or concerns.